After a decade of stagnated productivity, Forecasters predict the 4th industrial Revolution is expected to create up to $3.7 trillion in value by 2025.But unfortunately Pilot purgatory became a barrier to the successful adoption…
So, World Economic Forum Initiated Shaping the Future of Production in 2016 and created Global Lighthouse Network comprises 54 companies till date named as Lighthouses that have succeeded in the adoption of I4.0 technology from pilots to integration at scale, thus realizing significant financial and operational benefits.
In a 2020 survey for the World Economic Forum Lighthouse project, McKinsey identified that 74% of manufacturers reported being stuck in Pilot Purgatory, where process digitization has failed to achieve benefits at-scale.
These Lighthouses are most advanced manufacturing factories in the world lighting the way as learning beacon and guiding others in overcoming challenges who are stuck in pilot purgatory, helping them successfully adopt the technologies of the future.
Lighthouses are resetting industry benchmarks for the manufacturing sector as they are all taking operational and financial impact to new levels. Efficiency gains can reach up to 30% and are leading the broader manufacturing community to accelerate its transformation
Based on McKinsey survey done on more than 1000 companies following are some key points to note:
• Secure CEO support
• Work together with management to develop an ROI roadmap and allocate IT
and OT resources accordingly.
• Set the vision and the value to capture
• Consider focusing on smaller companies. The bigger companies tend to be
more difficult due to the sheer number of stakeholders
• Focus on quick-wins which can always build the momentum necessary to drive
• Promote these small-scale wins across the company to inspire employees
• Build skill & capabilities in your team
• Scaling up will be easy if pain points are seen solved during pilot
• Clearly define roles & responsibilities
• Redefine customer/user experience
• Set clear, ambitious targets based on cost savings, revenues, improved
• Build the Skills empower a dedicated team to lead the charge.
• Nurture a digital culture
• Treat data as a transformational asset for business model
• Adopt a new operating model
• Appoint a high-caliber launch team led by a chief digital officer/CTO
• Initiate the Cultural of Innovation in the company.
• Avoid using Buzzwords…
• Automation of machines and Production Lines
• Process Integration with cloud based ERP, MES, CRM and PLM software
• Systems and IT-OT Networks must be Cyber secured
• Use of glasses in Augmented Reality to receive only relevant data from the
• If needed then use Robots/Cobots to automate challenging tasks
• Reduce Losses (Down Time, Changeover, Performance Loss, Quality Loss)
• Reduce the Downtime
• OEE increase
• Productivity increase
• Cycle time can be optimized through Big Data analytics
• Process Optimization ( Use comparison tools to see where to focus attention,
Use trend tools to see which KPIs are improving and which are getting worse)
• Cloud-based analytics for predictive maintenance & Preventive Maintenance to
save time and money
• Energy monitoring and manage the power consumptions
• Increase speed to deliver the product to customer
Install Vorne XL and Track your plant productivity real-time